School Vision, Values and Ethos
Building minds and character for future life success
The vision of The Hurst School is to prepare and inspire our students for a rapidly changing world by developing confidence, resilience and independence alongside a love of learning. Students will aim for success today and be equipped for tomorrow.
Our aim is to provide an excellent education for all our students; an education which brings out the best in all of them and prepares them for success in life and the world of work. Our curriculum is designed to provide young people with the core knowledge and cultural capital needed both for further academic study, while enabling them to develop as citizens and engage effectively in the world beyond school.
Our curriculum is designed to be balanced and rigorous, in order to maximise students’ knowledge, as well as their personal development. The principle of education with character is delivered through the curriculum at every opportunity. Everything students learn in school, alongside the taught curriculum, is seen as part of the whole curriculum. This includes the approach to spiritual, moral, social and cultural development, as well as the extra-curricular provision.
The Hurst’s core curriculum is founded around these key values:
- The school will instil clear expectations in every facet of school life to encourage good conduct and self-regulation.
- The student will grow self-respect through challenge and success in every classroom. They will be supported to show respect to other students and adults to function effectively in social and formal situations.
- The school will develop a wider vision of the world for every student raising aspiration to enhance their future.
- The student will build skills to identify and create opportunities through experiences and positive relationships.
- The school will strive to realise every student’s full potential while developing skillset to enjoy lifelong learning. It will create a safe environment to make mistakes and build resilience. It will endeavour to improve progress and attainment for every student.
- The student will show consistently good work and seek to engage with all learning opportunities to the best of their ability.
- The school will commit to creating an aspirational high achievement culture to enable our students to make ambitious choices at 16.
- The student will foster perseverance to develop a healthy mind & body leading to a fulfilling life. A student should be able to set and realise goals for self, family and the school.
- The school will provide an inclusive, safe environment for any student to flourish.
- The student will endeavour to become an ethical and informed citizen ready to lead a life as a valued member of society.