What will happen in the event of snow……
Snow Days – Information & Procedures
At school, we are aware that the timings of our decisions to close the school are critical for parents and carers, trying to get their children to school and then get to work. Following a heavy overnight snowfall, we always try and take the judgment on school closure as early as possible in the morning. We aim to make this decision early enough for parents/carers to make alternative plans for childcare or, if there is a heavy snow fall during the day, with enough notice as possible for parents/carers or an alternate to pick up. Whatever the time of day, please be assured that the decision to close the school is taken after considering many factors, particularly the health and safety of our children and staff, and is not taken lightly. The fact that a proportion of our students are dependent on the buses will also play a part in considerations.
Heavy snowfall overnight may result in access to the school being restricted or may stop children, parents/carers and staff from getting to school safely. If these conditions apply, the following steps will be taken:
- The Headteacher will evaluate the prevailing conditions at the school site and in the area, along with input from the Site Duty Manager by 6:45am. Priority will be given to assessing Nursery conditions as they open earlier.
- If access to the Nursery is regarded as too dangerous or the forecast shows further concerning weather conditions, the Headteacher/Nursery Manager will take the decision to close the Nursery. The decision will be made by 7:00am.
- The Nursery manager will inform any parents with nursery age children at just after 7:00am.
- If access to the School is regarded as too dangerous or the forecast shows further concerning weather conditions, the Headteacher will take the decision to close the school. The decision will be made by 7:15am.
- Key staff will be informed to set staff telephone tree into motion by 7:15am
- The Headteacher will then register the school closure with Hampshire County Council Emergency Closures page. https://www.hants.gov.uk/education/schoolclosures/
- The status of the School and Nursery will appear on the website and social media pages by 8am latest.
- Decisions about the Leisure centre will be made before 2pm and communicated via the Leisure manager.
On the first day of the closure, work will be set on Teams for students to complete during the day. In the unlikely event that the closure is longer than one day then staff and students will revert to online lessons in line with our Remote Learning Policy. This will be communicated during day 1.
In some cases, the snowy conditions on site may just need time to clear or poor local road conditions result in students or staff taking a longer time to arrive at school. In this case the Headteacher may decide to open the school later or extend the time for registration so that everyone can get to school safely. If the decision for opening later is agreed, following steps will be taken:
- Staff will contact the Headteacher as early as possible, but before 7.30am to advise of their capability of getting to work safely.
- The Headteacher will register the delayed opening of the school with Hampshire County Council Emergency Closures page. https://www.hants.gov.uk/education/schoolclosures/
- The status of the school and up to date information will appear on the website and social media pages by 8am.
- The Headteacher will need to assess the number of staff members who have arrived at school by 8.45am. If there is a sufficient number of staff who have been successful in arriving at school, the Headteacher will then open the school.
- Normal pick up and collection arrangements will apply at 3:00pm for all students.
Work will not be set.
Snowfall during the School Day
In the event of a heavy snowfall and/or there is a significant deterioration in local conditions occurring during the school day, so that the return home may become unsafe, then the Headteacher may decide to close the school. The following procedures will be followed:
- The Headteacher will register the school closure with Hampshire County Council Emergency Closures page. https://www.hants.gov.uk/education/schoolclosures/
- Parents will be contacted via Edulink by the school. Students will only be sent home if parental contact has been established.
- The school status will be updated on the website, along with social media pages.
- Contact will be made with the bus companies. If students use the buses to travel then they will be kept at school until the buses arrive. This may not be earlier than 3pm.