At The Hurst School our primary concern is that students are able to learn in a safe and supportive environment. We also have a responsibility to ensure every young person has the right to be brought up in the same environment.
What We Do As A School
- All adults in school are aware of the Safeguarding Policies and these are explained to all new members of staff.
- Parents and carers are also made aware of the Safeguarding Policy.
- Our Safer Recruitment procedure includes checks on all staff and regular volunteers.
- The Safeguarding Policy is regularly reviewed and updated.
|Our Safeguarding Officers are:|
Mr M Hunt
Assistant Headteacher/Designated Safeguarding Lead
Mr D Zell
Assistant Headteacher/Deputy Safeguarding Lead
Mr J Rowell
Deputy Safeguarding Lead/Head of Year 7
Miss S Conran
Deputy Safeguarding Lead/Head of Year 8
Miss L Veitch
Deputy Safeguarding Lead/Head of Year 9
Mrs C Graham
Deputy Safeguarding Lead/Head of Year 10
Mr S Greeves
Deputy Safeguarding Lead/Head of Year 11
If you have any concerns please talk to one of our Safeguarding Team.
You can also find advice on who to talk to, both inside and outside of school, on our Student Wellbeing and support page.
Safeguarding against extremism
The aim of PREVENT is to stop people becoming or supporting terrorists and to do this by challenging ideologies, protecting vulnerable individuals and supporting institutions, such as our school.
Protecting students from the risk of radicalisation should be part of the schools wider safeguarding duties and is similar in nature to protecting children from other harms such as drugs, gangs, neglect and sexual exploitation. -Home Office - The Prevent Strategy
- Indicators that a child could be being radicalised are (although not exhaustive):
- Identity crisis
- Personal crisis
- Unmet aspirations
- Criminal behaviour
- Low self-esteem
- Social exclusion
- Expression of extreme views
- Changes in behaviour and appearance
- Please remain vigilant - awareness is by far the greatest protection for children and vulnerable people.
School Safeguarding Policies
Document links to our safeguarding policies here